My fantastic Webdings Logo

Musings of a Loquacious Mind

thoughts by kate


babies

Nectar - of the gods

My poor sister-in-law. She get's to hear me go off on "pet peeve" rants even when something is said that tangentially relates to a pet peeve and is not actually upsetting. I just get worked up. We were at Bo*Jangles the other day (whoot!), and she commented on how their sweet tea was like nectar.

That is, by all accounts, a proper use of the word nectar. Not only that, but sweet tea from Bo*Jangles might actually be the long lost recipe for nectar.

But what it set off for me was how much it tweaks my monkey when people refer to something being like "nectar of the gods". Nectar, by definition, is of the gods. Nectar is "the drink of the gods". To say "nectar of the gods" is to say "the drink of the gods of the gods". Who would say that? Not even dumb people say that.
NECTAR (NEK-tur) Beverage of the gods, which conferred immortality on any mortal lucky enough to partake of it.
Kris determined that I have very exacting pet peeves; perhaps I am just more aware of what my peeves are than most people, she suggested.

But there is one person who knows my pet peeves as well - if not better - than I do. And that is my dear husband. And if Kris can find it mildly amusing when I get worked up, my husband seems to find it like his own personal "On Demand" entertainment.

So he brought up another one of my pet peeves - mano a mano.

This does NOT mean man to man! People tend to almost accidentally use this correctly, at first, and then really screw it up by "translating" themselves and saying man to man. Mano a mano - literally, hand to hand; one on one; even playing field; head to head. Not man to man. Come on, people.

Labels:

 •  read more  • 

Comments

0 Comments:














.