My fantastic Webdings Logo

Musings of a Loquacious Mind

thoughts by kate


babies

This seems petty...

Secret: Shower Fresh

I've been using this brand and fragrance of deodorant for about forever. Well, after I (a) hit puberty and (b) realized "Teen Spirit" had no antiperspirant properties. I wish other 7th graders had realized the same thing. And that "Smells like..." perfume sprays and cologne coverups were not the way to go, either.

Actually, I used those gel antiperspirants for a while in high school, then I used "Secret: Powder Fresh" for a while, but never really liked the way it smelled, and and switched to "Shower Fresh" sometime before college. So about 10 years. Longer than I've been with my laundry detergent (I switched from liquid Cheer to liquid Tide when I moved to VA, because they sold Tide at Sam's Club, but not Cheer. It took some getting used to, but no where near as bad as that time I used my then-boyfriend's "Sun" detergent. I didn't break out like I do with powdered detergents, but I was very distracted by the fragrance and ended up rewashing some clean clothes.)

My point is this: these are subtle scents. They are meant to not really be noticed. And yet when they change, well, I have maybe more problems with change than other people.

Over the years the container for Secret has changed, but the scent remained the same. So when I was at the store picking up some deodorant the other week I didn't think twice about the new packaging art. But it hid something sinister. They have changed the fragrance of my deodorant!

And I don't like it.

Not just do I not like it because of the "why did they go and change it"-fear-of-change response, but I really do not like it in a "boy, that doesn't smell good" way.

Now, I'm cheap enough (or love my husband who is cheap enough) that I'm not going to toss my two sticks out (it was a twin pack, naturally), so I have quite a while to get used to the smell. But I imagine in, what, a year when I'm running out again I'll have to switch fragrances (and maybe brands, since Secret has betrayed me).

 •  read more  • 

Comments

1 Comments:

Blogger Suz said...

I feel your pain on the switching of scents... especially b/c I'm super smell sensitive when it comes to detergents, soaps, and deodorants.

I use one of the Power fresh brands, but have trouble finding one that is powder without powder-perfumy. If it's powder, it should smell like powder, why do they think it's cool to add old lady yucky perfume to the good powder smell?!?!

Anyways... I appreciate your random wonderings... =) I do have my masters in "Katherine" afterall =)
Love ya chica!














.